Monday 23 November 2009

The Beginning

For this term I decided to work on a brief that would allow me to explore new tools such as Maya and enhance my design skills needed for my chosen profession in the film or gaming industry. I took the opportunity to design a Chop shop that I would then build in a 3D package and texture later on. 

I didn't really know what a Chop shop was until I found a definition. It is place where stolen cars are illegally stored or literally chopped up for spare parts. This sparked hundreds of ideas and as a designer I saw a chance to create something unique that also said something about my personality. Although my brain was swirling with ideas I tried to suppress them knowing that many of them were too unrealistic and irrelevant to the brief. Before I even started drawing rough sketches I thought it best to do some research into the "Chop shop."

I originally had the idea of doing a very realistic and contemporary warehouse building where cars could easily be stored. I began by researching various contemporary garages and factories where the designs were simple yet functional. After speaking with several students as well as tutors about the brief I decided to take a different approach to the brief. After I discovered that several students where also creating contemporary buildings I imagined what a futuristic Chop shop would look like.

Many conceptual art books as well as contemporary buildings and machines inspired me to design a futuristic garage or factory. By finding as much research as possible I was able to sketch some rough shapes that would eventually evolve into interior and exterior of my Chop shop. I wanted my structure to look used and industrial. I wanted the structure to be futuristic but worn down like it had been used for quite some time. I had the idea that the structure appeared to be made of sheet metal on the outside while the interior was dense with piping and electrical equipment. I found many images online of oil refineries and of oil rigs that I could incorporate into the buildings design. Early on in the development stages I tried to concentrate on the form and the shape of the buildings exterior paying attention to the oil rigs and refineries which I had researched.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment